Test And Tag Services
Electrical safety is extremely important for everybody's well being. Why would you want to use or be around unsafe gear? It doesn't make sense, does it?
By getting your gear "Tested And Tagged", you make sure your gear is safe to use. It is also a requirement of a lot of venues and function spaces that you may be playing at, so if your gear is not properly tagged, you may not even be allowed to plug in!
So what is "Test And Tag"? It's the process of testing electrical equipment to make sure it is safe to plug into the mains power, by inspecting the appliance or cable for physical defects and damage, and by using a Portable Appliance Tester to electrically test the appliance. (It is not a test of the appliances' functionality). After the test is complete, a "Test Tag" is placed on the appliance with the tester's name, date of the test, and the date by which the appliance needs to be re-tested.
What needs to be tested, and what doesn't? Any cable, or piece of equipment that is mains powered, carries or distributes mains power. This includes:
- All power extension cables, power boards and appliance cables (for example IEC cables or "jug plugs").
- All appliances - anything that is powered by the mains power from a wall socket. For example, guitar amps, stage lights, computers, etc.
- All power supply units - for example, pedal power supplies, phone/tablet chargers, battery chargers, power supplies for wireless units, laptop power supplies, etc.
What doesn't need to be tested and tagged?
- FX pedals that require a separate power supply to operate. The power supply and its cable must be tested and tagged, but not the DC power cables from the supply to the pedal.
- Devices that do not carry AC voltage from the a wall socket, for example a wireless microphone receiver or a laptop computer does not need to be tagged, but it's power supply DOES need to be tested and tagged.
- Battery operated devices - equipment that is only powered be batteries, and cannot be plugged into a power cable, wall socket or mains-powered charger.
If you're still not sure which pieces of your gear need to be Tested and Tagged, please don't hesitate to get in touch!
To book your equipment in to be tested, please click here.
For pricing information, please click here.